Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Brazen by Leeana Tankersley




It seems to be the pattern that the books I hesitate to read the most are the books in which I find myself finding the most truth.

I wasn't keen on Leeana Tankersley's new book at first. Hot pink has never been my colour and brazen was a word I didn't hear very often, certainly never in a positive context. Yet, here was this hot pink book staring up at me from my computer, unashamedly asking me "what do you have to loose?" While my inner voices screamed upteen dozen reasons why I shouldn't and couldn't read this book.

So I started reading.

According to the back cover

There are so many moments in life when we choose to silence our intuition, abandon our own voice, and play small, because of that accusing voice inside that whispers, "Who do you think you are, anyway?" 

Who you are is a human--loved, worthy, and becoming. Who you are is a woman created by God to be and to do something unique. Who you are, deep down, is brazen.

Brazen means "without shame."

Leeana would probably classify my inner reasons as soul bullies. I'm not sure she would be wrong in that.

In Brazen Leeana offers women a uniquely crafted call to living as they have been called, to be free in "the wild spaces." Equal parts unapologetic calling out and truth speaking is partnered with a grace for women and a heart for creativity and passion.

As far as the structure goes, the chapters are not overly long and could theoretically be read quickly. However, I found this was one of the slowest books I've read recently due to wanting space to reflect upon the material and attempt some of the homework given at the end of each chapter.

The layout with the short chapters and homework option would make Brazen a wonderful option for a women's group or book club and I think the community aspect could add an entirely new dimension if led well.

My only concern with Brazen is that some areas felt very "new age" to me. I'm not entirely sure whether it was unfamiliar practices (free and inhibited are not exactly the first choice people would use when asked to describe me :P ), cultural difference, or if it was borderline new age. Some more conservative readers may find this to be an issue.

Overall, I think Leeana has bravely and brazenly brought a new outlook on an issue that, while often written about, is still largely felt and requiring the new life she brings into the situation.

4.5 out of 5 stars
"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment