Thursday, February 16, 2017

I love reading

I have a secret.

I love reading.

Okay, I'll confess, that may be the worst kept secret  of the  year. If you ever wandered into our  house you'd see books here and there and shelves that I swear groan under the weight of their load at times but reading is one of those things  that just energizes me and  passing along a love of the written word to our children is something my husband and I both hold dear.

As a college student I had a mind that wouldn't stop and a body that wouldn't start. Doctors eventually figured out that I possess a faulty gene or two resulting in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. As a result, my body often can't keep up physically with my mind. Books were a life saver to me as they provided friends when I was sick, adventures when I couldn't get out of bed, knowledge when I was bored, and expression when I tried to write my own. 
Although my health has (mostly)stabilized, books have remained a constant in my world.

Throughout  the day, I round up my boys for cuddles and stories while  they're still young enough to want to snuggle with their mom and it's exciting to see the excitement in their eyes as they scan their rooms for where they  last left their favourites while snuggling up for the last story time, 
At least a few nights a week I can be found  in the late hours of night (or wee hours of the morning because sometimes you just can't help reading just one more chapter  - or three) snuggled up with my  softest blankies and pillows and a big mug of tea, diving into new concepts  or new worlds  hidden between the pages of the latest book to cross my nightstand.

After all, as C.S. Lewis once said 
"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
Wise words in my opinion😉  







No comments:

Post a Comment